I’m a qualified, professional therapist supporting people to explore and understand their feelings better. My training gave me a thorough grounding in the Person-Centered Approach and I offer the skillful use of empathic listening. I trust in your search for health and wellness and I bring compassion and a non-judgemental attitude to our relationship.
I offer both individual and relationship counselling . You can find out more about how I work and what these sessions can offer you if you follow the links to my counselling pages. I also offer clinical supervision in order to support counsellors and other professionals in their personal and professional development, providing a space to help them to reflect on their practice. Sessions take place in the Practice Rooms in the heart of Norwich where I work during the day & evenings.
I have been working with adults and young people for over 18 years including schools and in the primary health sector as the NHS Youth Specialist Counsellor in South Norfolk. More recently I have been working as Senior Counsellor / Assistant Directory of The Norwich Centre Counselling Service, facilitating counselling training and Personal Development Groups. I attend regular Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training days to keep my skills and knowledge up-to-date so that I can help you in the best way I can.
- Person-Centred Couples Counselling Training: 2019 with Counselling Works
- Person-Centred Supervision: 2017 to 2018 with Person-Centred Workshops
- Person-Centred Expressive Arts Therapy: 2017 to 2018 with Creative Connections Cumbria
- Young Peoples Mental Health & Wellbeing: 2017 with Linda Simpson
- PTSD Symptoms & Diagnostic Criteria: 2016 & 2017 with Nicola Taylor
- Short Term Counselling: Skills & Challenges: 2016 with Mandi Martin
- Certificate in Wild Therapy 2017-18 with Jayne Johnson and Stephen Tame
- MBCT Mindfulness Teaching Skills Training: 2017 with Norfolk & Suffolk Foundation Trust
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Counselling (Person-Centred): Sept. 2013-15 from The Norwich Centre
- Certificate in Counselling Skills: July 2013 from The Norwich Centre
- MA Development Studies: Sept. 1998 from University of East Anglia
- BSc (Hons) Anthropology Sept. 1992 from University College London
I am a registered and Accredited member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). This is an accredited register approved by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care and it means I work to their high standards and abide by their code of ethics.
I carry professional indemnity and public liability insurance.
I have regular supervision to support my client work.
Norwich Counselling & Psychotherapy
Sam West MA BACP (Accred.)